Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I admit it, I jumped on a new fad ... PM's should be Growth Hackers

Just stumbled across a new term (or at least new to me): "Growth Hacking" (TechCrunch definition).

It was coined sometime in 2010 by Sean Ellis, founder of Qualaroo and describes a person that is:

1. passionate about combining hard facts from critical growth metrics (and mind you, only the critical ones as opposed to "vanity metrics") with

2. creativity to develop new ways of attracting customers and finally

3. using curiosity to keep asking "why isn't this working?" or "why is this working?".

All based on a true and fundamental fascination with users and customers, and why they became your customers, combined with deep technical understanding.

In other words "Growth Hacking" is a mindset, a mentality: "I don't wan't to fail, we need to find out what works" ( thx Jason Brady).

The term thus describes what in my mind is the characteristics of a truly powerful, market driven Product Manager ... only "Growth Hacker" sounds way more cool :-)

What do you think? Are you a"Growth Hacker" (Andrew Chen's definition)? ... I think I am. I'll update my LinkedIn profile and see what happens :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment